17 wsm

If you are thinking about buying another rifle, Had you though about a 17 HMR? I know that it is down on velocity, but they are very accurate at 100+ yards, ammo Is very available and there are lots of Quality rifles chambered in 17 HMR.

I looked at the 17 WSM and decided to stay with the 17 HMR for many reasons. One was the ammo and the other was the available rifles.

Just an option

J E CUSTOM

If you are thinking about buying another rifle, Had you though about a 17 HMR? I know that it is down on velocity, but they are very accurate at 100+ yards, ammo Is very available and there are lots of Quality rifles chambered in 17 HMR.

I looked at the 17 WSM and decided to stay with the 17 HMR for many reasons. One was the ammo and the other was the available rifles.

Just an option

J E CUSTOM

That is also why I went with the 17 hmr. Mine is VERY accurate. At 100 yards it will shoot the 20 grain cci game point under .5. I have a savage heavy barrel with the laminate stock. So far from what I've seen from the 17wsm it can't touch the accuracy of the hmr. I have successfully taken squirrels at 275 yards and targets at 400.

I have both the 17 hmr and the 17 wsm and both are the Ruger 77/17. I like them both but the wsm is the clear winner in a prairie dog town, the hmr is good to about 200 yards with a few prairie dogs around taken around 250 yards. With the wsm 300 yard shots are common and will stretch it out to 375 yards if conditions are right. I had trouble with both rifles with flyers until I free floated the barrels and did trigger work to get them down to 2 1/2 pounds, both have Leupold 4.5-14X-40 scopes and both will shoot under an inch at 100 yards if I do my part. I've yet to get a shot at a coyote with the wsm but have shot (had it first and longer) 6 or 7 with the hmr, haven't lost one but haven't killed one with one shot yet either. I find myself reaching for the wsm first and almost have to talk myself into taking the hmr.

I have both the 17 hmr and the 17 wsm and both are the Ruger 77/17. I like them both but the wsm is the clear winner in a prairie dog town, the hmr is good to about 200 yards with a few prairie dogs around taken around 250 yards. With the wsm 300 yard shots are common and will stretch it out to 375 yards if conditions are right. I had trouble with both rifles with flyers until I free floated the barrels and did trigger work to get them down to 2 1/2 pounds, both have Leupold 4.5-14X-40 scopes and both will shoot under an inch at 100 yards if I do my part. I've yet to get a shot at a coyote with the wsm but have shot (had it first and longer) 6 or 7 with the hmr, haven't lost one but haven't killed one with one shot yet either. I find myself reaching for the wsm first and almost have to talk myself into taking the hmr.

No doubt the WSM is faster, (20 grain bullet @ 3,000 ft/sec as opposed to 2550 with a 17 grain bullet in the HMR. So It depends on what you want to use it for. For 300+yard shots I like the 17
hornet for 3515 ft/sec with a 20 Grain bullet. and 3000 ft/sec with a 30 grain bullet.

All 17 calibers have a problem with wind and should be limited to the shorter ranges unless conditions are perfect. I really enjoy my 17s but they have there limits. There will always be something faster, so the poster has to decide what and how far he wants to shoot and go from there.

J E CUSTOM

I have both the 17 hmr and the 17 wsm and both are the Ruger 77/17. both have Leupold 4.5-14X-40 scopes and both

Kind of ironic, I have both and they wear the exact same scopes as yours but mine are Savages. My HMR is a SS HB with thumbhole stock and my WSM is a SS HB that I put a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock on and had the action bed. I also shortened the barrel on both down to 20 inches when they got threaded and tuned the trigger up myself on both of them to were they are right at 2lbs.

My 17 WSM actually out shoots my HMR. Shooting sage rats inside of 100 yards, to be honest, I don't notice a great deal of difference but when I start stretching it out to 150 and beyond, the 17 WSM definitely has more splat factor.

The Savage Bmag certainly isn't without its quirks and I think the early skinny barrel guns soured a lot of people on them but the Ruger 77/17 WSM wasn't without its issues either and I think I heard Ruger is no longer making the 77/17 WSM but I'm not certain of that. I do know the Ruger cost almost double what the Savage does though.

I also have a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet and they are an outstanding little gun. The little CZ 527's just flat shoot and they are a top quality piece. They're still VERY quiet, not much louder than the HMR but downrange they deliver considerably more splat factor than the HMR. Depending on what your intended use is, I'd give a lot of thought to skipping past both the HMR and WSM and going straight to a CZ 527 17 Hornet.

Kind of ironic, I have both and they wear the exact same scopes as yours but mine are Savages. My HMR is a SS HB with thumbhole stock and my WSM is a SS HB that I put a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock on and had the action bed. I also shortened the barrel on both down to 20 inches when they got threaded and tuned the trigger up myself on both of them to were they are right at 2lbs.

My 17 WSM actually out shoots my HMR. Shooting sage rats inside of 100 yards, to be honest, I don't notice a great deal of difference but when I start stretching it out to 150 and beyond, the 17 WSM definitely has more splat factor.

The Savage Bmag certainly isn't without its quirks and I think the early skinny barrel guns soured a lot of people on them but the Ruger 77/17 WSM wasn't without its issues either and I think I heard Ruger is no longer making the 77/17 WSM but I'm not certain of that. I do know the Ruger cost almost double what the Savage does though.

I also have a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet and they are an outstanding little gun. The little CZ 527's just flat shoot and they are a top quality piece. They're still VERY quiet, not much louder than the HMR but downrange they deliver considerably more splat factor than the HMR. Depending on what your intended use is, I'd give a lot of thought to skipping past both the HMR and WSM and going straight to a CZ 527 17 Hornet.

Ditto on the 17 Hornet...its become my favorite pdog rifle.

Thanks for the feed back. I've shot beside the HMR with my 22 Mag in mt T-Bolt. And he has nothing over me. But i watched my 13 yr old grand son at 350 yard milk jugs and his new Savage 17 WSM. And he killed Jacks and P Dogs consistently at 150 - 250 all day long. In fact we got 113 Jacks in 3 days. What a hoot!

I don't think I could do that with my 22 Mag.

But I hate his Savage B-Mag. Poor workmanship in my books.

I'll check out the Hornet. Gotta one up my grande son. LOL

Thanks for the feed back. I've shot beside the HMR with my 22 Mag in mt T-Bolt. And he has nothing over me. But i watched my 13 yr old grand son at 350 yard milk jugs and his new Savage 17 WSM. And he killed Jacks and P Dogs consistently at 150 - 250 all day long. In fact we got 113 Jacks in 3 days. What a hoot!

I don't think I could do that with my 22 Mag.

But I hate his Savage B-Mag. Poor workmanship in my books.

I'll check out the Hornet. Gotta one up my grande son. LOL

I hear you on the dislikes of the Bmag. I often refer to mine as the gun I love to hate but the darn thing will regularly shoot 1/2 @100 yards so I keep on loving to hate it.

For shooting sage rats when the action is fast and furious and I don't want to bother with saving brass the WSM and HMR is what I grab but if you don't want to be outdone by your grandson and his 17 WSM, a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet is what you want.

I wasn't all that sure how capable of a coyote round the 17 Hornet would be until last week when my dad dropped one like a ton of bricks at 257 yards and that was shooting factory 20gr Vmax ammo. I don't know that it'll do that every time but I will say I have a new found level of respect for the little 17 Hornet.

Shot my new Savage .17 WSM Target model today for the first time. I am very impressed. It will shoot 1" or less @ 100 yds. I'm glade I bought it!

I am lucky, I own one of the original but good shooting black skinny barreled BMAGs and love it for its light carry and accuracy. I hunt small game and occasional varmints that happen along. :D

I also have a Savage 93 HMR that has the blued varmint barrel and shoots a one hole group at 100 meters. But it is a safe queen since I bought my BMAG.

I just picked one up in the target model. Sighted it in thes weekend only shot at 50yds. It did a good job and I found the winchester and federal ammo seemed to shoot to the same spot. The rifle was really dirty with gunk in the barrel brand new. It also looked like there was oil under the bases it came with. It is set up with a Nikkon 4.5x18-40 Prostaff 5 scope. Can't wait to try it on some gphers soon.