.17 remington for yotes?

Great post Kannoone.

People used to say the .204 was too light for yotes too. I've NEVER lost one with a .204.

what is everyone's opinion on the .17 remington for yotes and fox out to about 200 yards. thanks for the input.

I shot a Remington Classic .17 Rem for many years hunting Yotes.. Using only a Leupold 6x42mm M8 with Duplex on it'..., with Remington factory ammo; that stuff always shot great in my rifle it was super accurate. I finally at one point was able to duplicate the Remington factory load with their 25gr HP which are no longer available for reloading. Out to 300 yards it seemed to be magic.. 301 yards and I'd start to see failures. All in all it's a great Yote cartridge.
Cheer's

I've always used my AR in 5.56 grain, or another AR in 6.8SPCII. The animals drop on the spot as long as I do my job and hit them. I'm even contemplating using my 25-06 with a light load to see how it does. I just think the 17's are too light for coyotes. JMHO

I've always used my AR in 5.56 grain, or another AR in 6.8SPCII. The animals drop on the spot as long as I do my job and hit them. I'm even contemplating using my 25-06 with a light load to see how it does. I just think the 17's are too light for coyotes. JMHO

Yes the 5.56x45mm NATO/ .223 Rem and others do a right smart job on a Yote.. I've killed these critters with everything from .22 LR to .375 H&H magnum.. rifles & pistols... that was also a hoot. But for some real fun with near zero recoil; a fast tracking 25gr bullet at 4000 fps plus; was like watching a T.V hunting program through my scope.. just plain enjoyable. Non of the bolt and buffer mover like in the AR's..no felt recoil bounce that you can even get from a lighter .223 Rem bolt rifle.. Just a near Kodak moment picture of the impact and what the Yote did "or" didn't do next.
I've always figured that 300 yards and under was about right for most calling while still making a sport out of it. If I wanted to punch one at 500 to 1K plus yards then I'd break out my LR rifles and dedicated varmint rifles.

Like most here, I've popped a metric ton of lead at Yotes with an AR.. I've seen friends screw the pooch on the first shoot, then somewhere between 25 and 30 later catch up with that dog and end the blast fest... Others have three to five dogs come in and near finishes them all off with 30 round mag.. Great fun, actually more fun to watch, I can't stop laughing some times, sounds a little morbid I know, probably should go see Dr. Phil about that. :rolleyes:

Don't underestimate the fun of the 17's and 20's... because they are fun, and they work great in their performance envelope, as does must calibers.

Just making conversation. :)
Cheer's

Yes the 5.56x45mm NATO/ .223 Rem and others do a right smart job on a Yote.. I've killed these critters with everything from .22 LR to .375 H&H magnum.. rifles & pistols... that was also a hoot. But for some real fun with near zero recoil; a fast tracking 25gr bullet at 4000 fps plus; was like watching a T.V hunting program through my scope.. just plain enjoyable. Non of the bolt and buffer mover like in the AR's..no felt recoil bounce that you can even get from a lighter .223 Rem bolt rifle.. Just a near Kodak moment picture of the impact and what the Yote did "or" didn't do next.
I've always figured that 300 yards and under was about right for most calling while still making a sport out of it. If I wanted to punch one at 500 to 1K plus yards then I'd break out my LR rifles and dedicated varmint rifles.

Like most here, I've popped a metric ton of lead at Yotes with an AR.. I've seen friends screw the pooch on the first shoot, then somewhere between 25 and 30 later catch up with that dog and end the blast fest... Others have three to five dogs come in and near finishes them all off with 30 round mag.. Great fun, actually more fun to watch, I can't stop laughing some times, sounds a little morbid I know, probably should go see Dr. Phil about that. :rolleyes:

Don't underestimate the fun of the 17's and 20's... because they are fun, and they work great in their performance envelope, as does must calibers.

Cheer's

Well said. I've used a 17 rem. since 1971 with zero regrets. never felt I needed more caliber, but the main reason I love the 17 is it is without a doubt very fur friendly and a DRT caliber on Coyote, Fox, and Bobcat.

Cheer's

I use 5, or 10 round magazines when hunting with my AR's. I don't go into a trigger happy blast of glory if I miss an animal and attempt to nail it through the sheer number of rounds my AR could deliver. I may even just take my .223 bolt action rifle rather than the AR. I simly do not prefer the .17, or .204 for hunting coyotes. To each his, or her own.

So you lost one shooting the 17 Remington..............Well I lost a nice buck last year shooting a 30-06 so what does that say about the 30-06

Just got a new 17 Remington in the CZ 527 Started out shooting the Berger 25 gr however I noticed that when running that bullet and the velocity through the Berger Ballistic program my killing range was 250 yards, considering 400 Foot lbs being the limit for effective killing power.
I found Reeds ammunition and they make 17cal bullets. They make a 32gr Rebatted Boat-tail Hollow point with a BC of .301 were the Berger is .152 Expecting a velocity of up to 3800 and ran this info through the berger ballistic program and found that the range for effective killing lbs of 400 was extended out to 500 yards...........Wow what a difference ..........looking forward to working up a load with this bullet. If it gives me that accuracy I hope it does I will order 500 more.

The Reeds 32 grain bullets work exceptionally well. Like Kindlers 30 grain Golds. You don't get the high velocity splash you get with the fast .22's. You won't get an exit wound like the heavy .22's that work well. If you give the .17 heavies an honest go you won't regret the decision. The Mach 4/ Remington fireball is an honest 300 yd. slayer. The 17 Remington has got to be way more effective.

I have killed over 800 coyotes out to 412 yds. And most dropped instantly yes if you make a bad shot they will run no more than larger cal. I only shoot 25gr.berger HP MATCH GRADE I don't think they have the exact same bullet now but I have a good quanity left I shoot this over any of my 22-250's.easy on fur fun to watch it hit good to learn to keep both eyes open to see those hits.
!
!

I have a 17 tactical that i hunt yotes alot with. It is a freakin laser beam for sure, shooting the 30 kindler at 4000. It is a death ray for sure, if you make a good hit on a yote within a respectable range, it is going to expire quickly. Ive shot yotes with a 22-250ai and a 55 grain vmax that ran and i never found, it just depends where you hit them and what bullet you are using.

Do you have a lifetime supply? I shoot the same with similar results but I don't have any more Kindlers. There are a lot of skeptics out there that won't agree. The Reed's bullets work fine just FYI. I have shot quite a few Rock Chucks this year and sage rats just learning the bullets. They aren't the bullet for rats or chucks. But perfect for coyotes. I have heard from a reliable source they are great wolf killers too. The Kindler's were excellent.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.