16” 7PRC Build - The Rifle that Might Could

Chase723

ALCON-

I know there's lots of threads out there with info on 18-22" 7PRCs however there's nothing about 16"…so I figured I'd post this out into the ether so that if anyone else in the future gets the same hankering they'll at least have one point of reference. To some, this is blasphemy. To others, this might be the future.

Like pretty much everyone who got into long range shooting and hunting I started off with long, heavy barrels. They all had "optimal" barrel lengths, allowing for complete powder burn and maximum velocities, and they all shot great. However, they all sucked to hump around. Once I got into suppressors they became even longer and sucked even more…like carrying around a boat oar.

That started me on the journey of cutting barrels back. Over time, what I have come to realize is that from a pragmatic perspective I gave up essentially nothing by going shorter, especially with efficient heavy for caliber projectiles. Yes, I certainly gave up some velocity but that only counts on the extreme backend. Lose 200-300fps, lose 200-300 yards of supersonic range…but who cares when you're still supersonic to 1500-1800 yards? My guess is that there is a limit to this somewhere when the amount of unburned powder creates some uneven ballistic turbulence and accuracy will deteriorate but I currently haven't found that…which prompted me to embark on this project (and another in 6.5 Creed which involves a 14.5" barrel pinned and welded to 16" which I'll also post about once complete).

Therefore, I'm undertaking the following build and will update this thread with pics and data once complete. Everything is ordered, probably going to be 3-4 months until complete.

Impact NBK LA Mag w/ their new 75deg bolt
16" Bartlein 1:8 Heavy Palma Murder Hornet fluted by LRI and cerakoted Elite Sand
TriggerTech Diamond
Manners T2A GAP w/ Badger EFR and full length ARCA in swamp camo
3 round AICS mags
Silencerco 3 port ASR brake
8" Form 1 suppressor
ZCO 4-20 in QD Spuhr

I'm guessing that it'll shoot the 180 ELD-Ms at ~2600fps, which will remain supersonic to 1800 yards. 1600fps at 1250 yards w/ 1000ft/lbs.

The goal isn't ultralight. The goal is lightish but ultra functional. I expect it to weigh ~10lbs complete w/optics, mag, and suppressor. Short, very packable, stable, relatively quiet, mild recoil, should look awesome, and a should be a hammer. The little rifle that might could.

Last edited:
Going to end up a little heavier. Switching to Lone Peak Fuzion as 75 deg Impact ETA is uncertain for the LA Mag and Altus had a Fuzion in stock.

Going to shoot factory for now but when I get time to reload I'll use either Retumbo, H1000, or N565 since that's what I have on hand.