140 grain Berger vs 143 eldx

laker

Ive got two loads worked up for the wife's 6.5-06 with 140 berger hunting and the 143eldx. We ran the Bergers last year without issue but being the tinkerer I am I worked up a load for the 143 eldx. Anyone ran both of these on game and which did you prefer? This is a coyote to elk rifle

I am the same way. I have used bergers forever and recently been messing with the eldx's in my 6 creed and 270wsm. I have been happy with the eldx - took a 5x6 elk last fall with the 145gr. I have never had issues with either.

Having shot both, I prefer the ELD-X. That said, I've never shot an elk with any 6.5mm so take that for what its worth.

Personally, I didn't get the consistent terminal performance that most people report with the Berger's.

No two rifles are the same. Having said that, the Bergers (140 VLDH) were much more accurate in 6.5 CM and a friend's .264 WM. We tried the ELDX (143 gr) and Accubonds LR (142 gr) as well. Took an Az Bighorn at 612 yds with the CM and a big muley at 215 yds with the .264. Both dropped in their tracks.

Having shot both, I prefer the ELD-X. That said, I've never shot an elk with any 6.5mm so take that for what its worth.

Personally, I didn't get the consistent terminal performance that most people report with the Berger's.
Was shot placement consistent with your varied results? Also what were the animals being taken?

To me Hornaday has great salesman they are much about hyping their product by saying best BC in class but then Theyhave weights like 285 grain where most manufacturers are 250 or 300 I have tried sierras Hornady nosler s and burgers and as for burgers they are devastating On game my brief experience with 338 caliber Hornady is when sorting by weight they varied more than any bullet I ever checked and out of a box of 100 only one bullet weighed exactly 285 Grains you do not see this good burgers

Was shot placement consistent with your varied results? Also what were the animals being taken?

Whitetail/mule deer and some antelope - behind the shoulder, soft tissue shots for all of them. I'm sure a high-shoulder shot would likely make things more consistent!

No two rifles are the same. Having said that, the Bergers (140 VLDH) were much more accurate in 6.5 CM and a friend's .264 WM. We tried the ELDX (143 gr) and Accubonds LR (142 gr) as well. Took an Az Bighorn at 612 yds with the CM and a big muley at 215 yds with the .264. Both dropped in their tracks.
Same tinkering here. I took my white tail last year with Berger 140 vld. Nice performance. Have loaded up nosler 142 for this year but I have a box of 143 x's. Would like to know how the 143 stood up to the 142 Ablr.

308, been several years since we did the loads. Don't recall the difference between the Hornady and the Nosler.

Burned up my 6.5-06 barrel on 140 vld. Shot large mule deer, large whitetails, antelope, black bear and mountain goat. Nothing ever escaped and performance was stellar over many years. Still shooting them in a variety of 6.5 rigs. And the new barrel will for sure be shooting them still.

I couldn't get consistent accuracy out of ElDx in my 6.5-06. Berger shoot 1/2 MOA all the time. We have shot elk, bear, with Berger's with good results.

I have seen a handful of animals shot with ELDX and bullets performed perfectly from 600yds to 200.

The ELDX seemed to have a more consistent looking bullet performance where Berger's sometimes really grenade and sometimes not as much.

I would feel confident with either bullet if accuracy was equal in your rifle

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.