Votes: 20 10.4%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Less than 50%

Votes: 33 17.1%

• Total voters
Truthfulness will only get you respect!

I'm really glad that Less than 50% was an option! 🤪 memtb
I know @lancetkenyon knows this (others as well) but yardage alone is the easiest variable to contend with.

Given a good day, and a good spotter I used to could do better. I was at the range first time in like 4 years Friday. Wind advisories in the area. meaning typical Wyoming pronghorn hunt.

50%
Sounds like a simple challenge, but if you are not an expert, we are getting set up for some disappointment. LOL

I really wanna try this challenge, but really with low expectations. I'd guess 50%. I know I'll be close to hitting it but 100%.... Dang.
I watched a couple you tube videos and It's really been humbling to some folks.
Really when you think about it, is it really possible for the average shooter. I mean that I have a 1 moa rifle. So that means at best I can shot a 6" group with this rifle at 600 yards. What's a milk jug 6 or 8"...????? So if I do everything perfect then MAYBE I could hit it every time. Throw in the wind, ranging, dialing, barrel heating up, perfect rest, did I mention wind, elevation, earth rotation, spin drift, perfect loads and what else could go wrong.
Not saying it can't be done, but I'd like to shake your hand if you can do it.

I guess my opinion to best describe long range shooting would be to overcome 100 variables 1 time is amazing. To overcome 100 variables twice is 1000 times harder. Each time more is multiplied by 1000. So depending on your ability, X amount of times is impossible. I will shoot every shot thinking I will be on target but reality is there is a lot that can go wrong.

In Highpower it is said you win at 200 and loose at 600yd. What that means is the 200yd stage of the game is shot standing no sling and to shoot a possible[all 10's or x's ] you have to shoot 20 shots within a 6 inch 10 ring. This is by far the most difficult part of the match, way more difficult than shooting prone with a sling at 600. If you shoot a good score at 200 it is very likely you will win because a high percentage of the shooters struggle with standing. You loose at 600 because things are out of your control ,an errant bullet, a sudden wind switch, some glitch in ammo. I hope this doesn't bore people but in todays match at 600 I started with a 10, which is already outside the milk jug as the 10 ring is 2 moa, the x ring is 1 moa but my best guess at the wind we were having gave me a 10 not an x so I corrected and held about 4 inches right of center and shot an x then the next shot I noticed the mirage traveling a little faster so I held about 6 inches to the right and shot a 10 just left of the x ring, again outside of the milk jug. the next shot looked simular to what I just shot so I held about 8 inches right and shot a x. The next shot the mirage was very slow so I held right side of the x ring and shot a 10 just right of the x ring so every shot today needed to be guessed on and my last shot the mirage stopped so I aimed left of the x ring in the 10 ring and shot and the shot was in the 9 ring by 1/4 inch so my total score was a 199 with 11 x's. I am not the best wind reader but I have probably shot 8 or 9 thousand rounds at 600 yds and I do better than average and still would have not hit that milk jug 9 out of 20 today. If you take an average hunter and have him try the wind we had today I think the milk jug could relax it would be safe due to the fact that the average hunter shoots off a bench and has never tryed to out fox the wind.

I'm relatively new to the LR game, but I can shoot and I'm an extremely fast learner. There's no gd way I could hit 100/100 jug-sized targets with a hunting rifle in hunting scenarios (wind, no bags, no target rifles, no warm ups, no bench) at ranges of 300-600 yard evenly distributed.

I think most of the people claiming anything over 85% hit percentage in anything other than DEAD CALM wind conditions are lying to themselves.

100 is too many shots to not have mental and/or physical fatigue and the law of large numbers intervene in their success.

However, nothing is impossible and a very tiny cross section of people are extraordinarily talented and experienced.