10 shot repeater break action air rifle - Gamo Swarm Maxxim

engineer40

I just ordered the newer Gamo Swarm Maxxim air rifle. I understand that Gamo doesn't have the best reputation in the air gun industry. However I ordered from Cabelas online so if it sucks, I can return it locally.

I previously had a Ruger break action and it was horrible. It was loud, heavy, and super inaccurate. I sent probably 700 pellets down the barrel and the accuracy never improved. Guys would say I needed to use the artillery hold, which I did. And every other kind of hold I read about. I read about 15 different "tweaks" that guys do for break actions to increase their accuracy. I tried them all. I put in a ton of effort into that air rifle and it never got better than 2 inch groups at only 15 yards. Then one day I shot it with my Dad along with his 20 year old RWS 34. We shot both for groups and over the chrono. It was an eye opener. The very next day I sent my crap break action Ruger back to Midwayusa.

My son's Daisy 880 actually groups fantastic. It's just on the slower side for velocity and pumping it nonstop gets annoying.

I really wanted to dip my toes into the PCP air rifle game. But the setup cost for something I'm not sure if I will even like is too high.

So all of that said... I plan to clean the barrel and blue Loctite all of the screws when I get it in. Since it's a 22 caliber instead of 177, I ordered 9 different kinds of pellets to try. I didn't yet have any 22 caliber pellets.

Any other advice from you break action fans? Do you do anything else when you get a new break action air rifle?

Thanks!

I don't care for the "muzzle brake". If it can be removed, I probably will.

Gamo.jpg

It looks impressive. The reviews are generally glowing. My R8 has a .20 barrel. There is zero non-lead for .20. I was going to get a .22 barrel but the Swarm 10 shot sure looks like a better option.

Usually I'd replace bye barrel and get the Swarm.

Once I get the gun in and shoot it for a while, I'll update this post. I'm trying not to get too excited about it since I got so disheartened over my last break action air rifle experience. If it shoots at least as good as my $35 Daisy 880, I'll be happy. Which that will shoot less than 1/2 inch at 25 yards. Not amazing, but still better than many reviews I see on other more expensive air rifles. (I did have to test many different pellets to find one that accurate).

I do like how fast you can have follow up shots. I like that it's not 8 or 9 pounds like so many other break action air rifles. I like the price. I like that it has some built in sound suppression.

I'm interested in how the gas piston will behave compared to a traditional springer.

We shall see... If I end up needing to return it for a refund for some reason, I probably will pony up and invest in the PCP air rifle equipment and go that route. Even the cheap PCP's seem to be accurate.

One of my biggest complaints with the Gamo rifles is the horrible trigger. I had a Whisper in .22, and it shot like crap- couldn't do anything with that shi**y trigger. I found out about "Charliedatuna" triggers. He makes them for Gamos, and I tried one. Made a world of difference. The trigger actually had a break point instead of a long drawn out pull. If Charlie makes one for that rifle, I would get it.

If you are looking at a PCP, the Benjamin Marauder is a great start point. A friend at work has one in .22 cal, and it shoots 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards.
Only problem is you need an air source. That "bicycle" type pump will kill you if that's the way you decide to go. A scuba tank or fiber tank will last quite a while refiling the rifle.
Also, if you look at the Beeman FTS pellets, I found they are the most accurate in my .177 BSF and my .22 RWS M34.

Good luck !!

Springers can be difficult to shoot since they are sensitive to varying or different shooting/holding pressures. To make it shoot, you must find the holding method that it likes and try to duplicate it every time. With that said, the PCPs are not sensitive and shoot more consistent. The downside is keeping it filled up and the initial cost. If getting into air rifles and don't mind spending hhe money, then go the PCP route.

I wouldn't say that I'm "into" air rifles. I'm into firearms but have mostly ignored air rifles until very recently. However if I'm honest with myself, I end up shooting this $35 Daisy 880 more than most of my other guns because I can shoot it with my sons easily and can shoot it out my back door. I only have a couple acres.

Also I'm embarrassed to say that the same cheap Daisy air rifle (that we got for my older son like 5 years ago) has probably actually killed more "game" than any other guns I have. Ground squirrels, chipmunks, and the nuisance birds that Michigan lets you shoot... I love to go out somewhere hunting, but when those critters come right to the bird feeder, well... that's a fun stalk also. :)

If I take an accurate inventory of the time I get to spend shooting and my life right now with 2 sons, it might make sense to invest more in air rifles.

I also like that many of the PCP guys have similar skill set as is needed to shoot long range with a centerfire rifle. They know about bullet (or pellet) BC's, range with a reticle, wind, angle cosine, etc. Part of me thinks air gunning would be a good way to get my sons learning this stuff also.

Got this air rifle in this morning. Wow, I really enjoy the magazine capability. Unless Gamo got a patent on it, I can't see how this isn't going to be adopted across the industry. Having a magazine gives the air rifle a pump shotgun or lever action feels to it. Yes you have to do something to get the next round in the chamber, but it doesn't take long and you're back on target.

The scope crosshairs went crooked at the 8th shoot. A little surprised since this Nitro Piston feels smoother than the traditional springers I've shoot.

It's definitely quieter than my previous break action air rifle and it's quieter than my dad's RWS 34.

I don't dig that muzzle brake. It has to just be for looks... The over all length of the gun would be a few inches shorter without it. Who knows, maybe I'll come to appreciate the extra leverage after I'm cocking it for hours.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.