“Mooning” Coyotes on the Nightshift

ADMIN

Administrator
My hunting partner, Tom Haas, and I had been waiting all year (as we do every year) for an opportunity to night hunt coyotes by a full moon in the winter. To do so usually requires a cloudless sky and little or no wind and, of course, a full moon or near to it. And for those who do not hunt in the state of North Dakota, the odds of that happening on the same day are slightly worse than winning the Mega millions lottery or taking a selfie with Bigfoot. But to our luck, the stars aligned and it happened the first weekend in December of 2014. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, "Mooning" Coyotes on the Nightshift, By Eric Ketterer. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

I can attest to the fact that Moonlight calling can be productive. Here in Colorado the rules are the same you can use lights at night on private property with special permission. When there's a moonlit night with snow on the ground lights are not needed. My biggest bobcat ever killed was called this way many yrs ago.
Another part of this article I can attest to is the fact that cold weather can create problems with your rifle. I made a stalk to about 150yds once and could not get my rifle to shoot! 36 below that day. Another time i called in a double and killed the first one but got some snow in the action and had a failure on the second dog broadside @ 200yds. Grrr! Started washing triggers out with acetone and running them dry. Good article!

Very good article. Where at in nd? The last two nights have been very bright moonlight nights, i shoulda been out there! Maybe tonight, gotta try out the new 17 tactical and 22-243ai!

You "Fun Hogs"! I envy you that great environment. But you earned every bit of your success. Obviously you know how to dress for those temps.

But here's a tip from a ski patroller who has taught Army ROTC Cadets winter survival:

-> Instead of heavy wool socks wear thin (3 mm) neoprene diver's sox over thin polyester liner socks. These divers sox are made from closed cell neoprene rubber covered on both sides with permanently bonded knit fabric. US Divers make the best 3 mm divers sox and they are factory seam sealed, saving you the trouble.

-> These neoprene divers' sox will function as Vapor Barrier Liners (VBLs) to keep sweat inside the divers sox and away from your boot insulation, keeping it dry and warm all day (or night). VBL barriers are most often used as socks but sometimes in sub-zero temperatures as sleeping bag liners in the form of coated ripstop bag liners to keep the insulation dry and warm.

I've used divers sox VBLs for over 25 years with felt packs, back country ski boots and even light Gore-Tex hiking boots and gaiters to keep my feet warm.

Yes, at the end of the hunt you need to put the sweaty, skanky poly liner sox in the laundry right away and have fresh ones for the next day, and you need to turn the VBL sox inside-out to dry. But your felt pac liners will be dry. Damp/wet felt pac liners or insulated boots take a long time to dry and lose insulation value during the day as they get wetter by the hour.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.