“Hey Colt, Whiskey Tango Heck?!”

YZ-80

Heard on evil conservative talk radio that Colt will be restricting production to strictly military and law enforcement contracts going forward for some unspecified reason. Then, they walked it back, saying something to the effect that there was enough inventory in the marketplace to meet consumer demand. This is a bit disconcerting. Thoughts?

My thoughts are one of the following three things is going on:
-They are being pressured by wherever they got capital from after the bankruptcy.
-They are being threatened that they will not be considered for future.gov contracts if the continue to provide ARs to the .civ
-They can't wrap their head around the fact that their name doesn't mean much when the average guy can now buy/build an milled upper/lower AR for 1/2 the Colt MSRP so they can't move their inaccurate (albeit reliable) guns.

I don't buy for a second that they are overextended on their manufacturing capacity meeting .mil orders when the size of the Army is not growing, deployments are slowing drastically, and they are very actively seeking an M4 replacement not doubling down and ordering more.

I read the entire article on this. As of now this is only a suspension of production not an all out elimination of production. The reason is that there is an over abundance of ARs and AR parts already flooding the market and they are shifting to other production at this time.

If true, it would be an shame if they caved in to ridiculous "assault weapon" mania. Perhaps I'm being a dreamer, but Colt might be the one firearm manufacturer that could bring some reality to the propaganda, and totally distorted facts being shoved down the throats of the American people. They are THE supplier of military weapons, with far greater name recognition, and knowledge of the "facts" then ANY politician. They could make the distinction that has for many years been totally misrepresented to the general public....And the public may very well listen to what they have to say. IMO, while it would take some good old American courage on Colts part, the TRUTH needs to be told and the misleading assault weapon label, discredited once and for all.

It's just a company that's losing money on rifle sales pausing rifle sales. Gun owners want everyone to be out for them but sometimes companies are just failing.

Now, they aren't selling them because they are 300$ more than their competitors and bubba don't like that sear block in case of boogaloo but still. Idk how many times I've heard someone that won't stock more than 100 rounds of 223 complain about the sear block... give me a break.

I hope they spend that time and energy bringing the snake guns back, if they assume people won't buy their ARs (for what they charge) but will buy snake guns I'd say they are correct.

It's just a company that's losing money on rifle sales pausing rifle sales. Gun owners want everyone to be out for them but sometimes companies are just failing.

Now, they aren't selling them because they are 300$ more than their competitors and bubba don't like that sear block in case of boogaloo but still. Idk how many times I've heard someone that won't stock more than 100 rounds of 223 complain about the sear block... give me a break.

I hope they spend that time and energy bringing the snake guns back, if they assume people won't buy their ARs (for what they charge) but will buy snake guns I'd say they are correct.
This is the most likely answer, and also most likely close to the truth. They also may very well be getting pressure from lenders, or Swamp Lords hording contracts, but the outcome of such a move is that the Media and anti gun folks will make the most of it, and they will lose some degree of their sales because of it. The smart thing would have been simply to quit making new ones until the current inventory was all sold, and kept their mouths shut. That's what anyone manufacturing anything else on the planet would do, so there is more to this than just what's on the surface. Sounds like they are playing to both sides, and it won't end well for them unless they start making some really cool stuff that we just have to have, like Snake guns that are even better than the old ones.

this, and they filed bankruptcy protection in 2015....when odumbo was stil prez. then trump wins in 2016 and gun sales fall because nobody is worried about any sort of ban. i'd love an LE6920, but they're $1k -/+ rifles. i can piece together 2 really nice rifles for $1k and they'll be exactly how i want them.

This is the most likely answer, and also most likely close to the truth. They also may very well be getting pressure from lenders, or Swamp Lords hording contracts, but the outcome of such a move is that the Media and anti gun folks will make the most of it, and they will lose some degree of their sales because of it. The smart thing would have been simply to quit making new ones until the current inventory was all sold, and kept their mouths shut

I agree with this assessment. In addition to opening their mouths, the timing was impeccably bad!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.