New rifle - fair deal?

varmintH8R

I had a $500 gunshop credit from a raffle I won earlier in the year, and finally got a chance to go look around. On the used shelf they had a Remington 700 in 260rem that was apparently sent out for accurizing by the local PD, before their mandate to go .308. According to the shop, it was trued and re-barreled with a 25" 8-twist LW. It had only been proof tested - the round count was reported <10. I had them put the borescope through it and it looked flawless. I know LW's have some detractors (I have no direct experience) but if nothing else it looks brand-new...

While I can't be sure who did the work (and how much work was done), it clearly has a beefy recoil lug, a near-new barrel, lapped locking lugs, and the trigger is excellent (has been worked for sure). The proof will be in how it shoots, but I feel like I got a fair deal at $775.

I know little about Remingtons, but I DO know there are some experts that haunt these parts - see anything interesting here or have any idea on what sub-model it is (VS, Sendero, etc)?

Sorry for the bad pic, I'll try to get a better one tomorrow in the daylight.

Brandon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 50
I had a $500 gunshop credit from a raffle I won earlier in the year, and finally got a chance to go look around. On the used shelf they had a Remington 700 in 260rem that was apparently sent out for accurizing by the local PD, before their mandate to go .308. According to the shop, it was trued and re-barreled with a 25" 8-twist LW. It had only been proof tested - the round count was reported <10. I had them put the borescope through it and it looked flawless. I know LW's have some detractors (I have no direct experience) but if nothing else it looks brand-new...

While I can't be sure who did the work (and how much work was done), it clearly has a beefy recoil lug, a near-new barrel, lapped locking lugs, and the trigger is excellent (has been worked for sure). The proof will be in how it shoots, but I feel like I got a fair deal at $775.

I know little about Remingtons, but I DO know there are some experts that haunt these parts - see anything interesting here or have any idea on what sub-model it is (VS, Sendero, etc)?

Sorry for the bad pic, I'll try to get a better one tomorrow in the daylight.

Brandon
Brandon... The only difinitive way to know, is to call Remington, give them the S/N, and they can tell you what rifle model that particular action originally left the factory as.

But if I had to guess...

If it has a jeweled bolt, and that is the original HS Precision stock for that action. Then I would say the original rifle was most likely a Model 700 VS (Varmint Synthetic).

If it has a blued bolt that has not been jeweled, then it could have just been an ADL that was pieced together with an HS stock off a VS model.

If you can get her to shoot sub-½ MOA, I'd say you did excellent at $775. Especially since you only had to come out of pocket $225. :D

I could always give you your $225 back, if you feel you don't like it for any reason. :D:D:D

Anyway, keep us updated on the load development.

I like the rifle...Then again, I love Senderos and VS/VSF/VSSF model rifles.

Mudrunner,

Thanks for chiming in - I was hoping to hear from you. I know you are a big Sendaro fan and know your Remmingtons. I'll call Remington and see what they say regarding the SN.

It'll be a bit until I get any shooting results - brass, bullets, dies, rail etc need to be ordered.... I love setting up a new rifle!

Setting up a new rifle is always fun. It gets addicting. I've built 6 since January. 5 still assembled, and I disassembled the first one to build 2 others out of it's parts. It really helps my smith just absolutely loves building rifles, and loves when I bring a rifle around, because it's always gonna be something weird or unusual, like an Ackley or wildcat caliber. And he loves tinkering with them, too, so I just tell him to take his time, and he cuts me a hell of a deal on the work, since I never rush him. He lets the "rush job" customers make up for the price difference in what he charges me. I'm not complaining. :D

Definitely go with Nosler brass and Berger bullets. I hear the .260's really like those 2 things. If I were building one, I would go with Varget and Fed 210M primers. But that's because I have plenty of both readily available. And Varget is a fast powder, but incredibly temp stable.

Definitely go with Nosler brass and Berger bullets. I hear the .260's really like those 2 things. If I were building one, I would go with Varget and Fed 210M primers. But that's because I have plenty of both readily available. And Varget is a fast powder, but incredibly temp stable.

I run a bunch of Varget in other rigs, so that will get a try for sure. I am shooting more and more Bergers, so they will get a shot for sure. I always try two different flavors to see what a rifle likes - I've heard good things about the 140 Amax in 6.5 so I may try that as well.

You will always have some degree of apprehension in your mind. "Did I get my money's worth?" is the prelude to buyer's remorse. From all the data posted so far I'd say you got a great deal - if it shoots. We won't know for certain until you shoot it. However, if you're anxious about it - I'll top the previous offer and take it off your hands for $500 ... then you don't have to worry and I'll absorb any potential buyer's remorse. :cool:

You will always have some degree of apprehension in your mind. "Did I get my money's worth?" is the prelude to buyer's remorse. From all the data posted so far I'd say you got a great deal - if it shoots. We won't know for certain until you shoot it. However, if you're anxious about it - I'll top the previous offer and take it off your hands for $500 ... then you don't have to worry and I'll absorb any potential buyer's remorse. :cool:

Thanks for your offer! If it doesn't shoot I'll PM you!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.